Thursday, October 15, 2009

A little something of my own

Last week, feeling inspired by the fall weather, I decided to make some soup. Let me just start by explaining how I cook. Sometimes I follow a recipe exactly how it was written, but that is usually only when baking. I have yet to master the chemistry of altering baking recipes without disastrous results. Typically, if I am going to go through the work of baking it is because I REALLY want a sweet treat and don't really want to risk failure. On the other hand, when it comes to any other type of cooking I generally embellish, eliminate or experiment with the list of what I refer to as "suggested ingredients" to come up with something sometimes all together different from the intended result. This is not always a good thing - but more times than not, it turns out pretty darn good. Oh, the other thing I should probably mention is that when these experiments take place I rarely pay any attention to measurements or what I actually put in the pot for that matter. When, by the chance, the dish is a success, Rick is quick to remind me to "write it down" while still fresh in my head. I'm trying to be better at remembering to do this.

Rick has never been a fan of soup. I have made different versions of soup over the years without much of an interest from him or the kids. When making soup these days I fully expected to have the pot to myself. This works fine with me because I am left with lunch for a week and some extra for the freezer. Last week I was trying to find a use for some kale that made an appearance at our farmer's market. Rick had taken some ground pork out of the freezer and seeing the two ingredients there together inspired me to put some soup on. Working with what I had on hand in the pantry, freezer and fridge I got to work.

Not only is Rick not much of a soup fan, he is also in process of acquiring a taste for the nutrient dense leafy greens. I give him big points because he actually will eat whatever I put in front of him, and trust me sometimes I don't even want to eat it. So that fact that there was kale in the soup solidified my belief that I was to indulge alone. As for the kids, well let's just say they are still a work in progress!

After the soup had been cooking for about an hour, I saw my visions of a week worth of lunches come crashing down as I heard Rick walk in the front door and say " Something smells GOOD!" Now I had mixed feelings here, of course I want to win him over to loving soup as I do, and who doesn't love it when someone thinks something you made turned out fantastic, but selfishly I didn't really want to share. Rick has a big appetite and sharing with him means I have to be sure to remind him to "Save some for ME!"

Well, as you can probably tell the soup was a hit! I remembered enough of what I had thrown in the pot last time to make it again this week, with Swiss chard and Italian sausage this time, since kale was absent this week and Italian sausage is perfect for soup. I am listening to my dear soup loving husband and using this blog to "Write it down!"

Hope you give it a try...and in the spirit of things, add a little something of your own!

Fall Vegetable and Italian Sausage Soup
(All local, primal ingredients)
*all measurements are approximates from memory

3T Extra virgin olive oil, cold expeller pressed
2 large or 3 small leeks, chopped fine
1 red onion, diced
4 carrots, peeled and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 red or yellow pepper, diced (or add both if you have them, I did!)
1 bunch Kale or Swiss chard ( or both) cut fine
1 lb ground pork Italian sausage or plain ground pork
2 T Italian seasoning, dried
(I also added extra parsley, oregano, and thyme- maybe an extra 1/4 t of each?)
1/2 t cumin
1/4 t sage
2 bay leaves
Fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste- maybe start with 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper
6 C chicken broth- I used homemade
1 C shredded zucchini and yellow squash (I shredded for texture reasons- less mushy that way)

**if you are a garlic fan I suggest adding a few cloves as well...I didn't have any on hand

In a large heavy pot warm the oil over medium heat. Add leeks, onion, celery, carrots and peppers and saute until leeks are tender, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add kale, sausage/ground pork and herbs (and garlic if adding), cook about another 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, shredded squash and bay leaves...season with more salt and pepper if needed. Cover and cook as long as you have time for....longer the better. Tastes even better the next day...that is, if there is any left! :o)

4 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

Last week I was heating some soup up at work and one of my co -workers asked what it was. Kale and pork soup I told him. He thought it sounded gross. When I was done heating it up he warmed his bowl of canned split pea soup. I guess its all about your prespective.

4:50 PM  
Blogger MM said...

Sounds good Sally! Thanks. Jeremy is not a soup fan either-but he'll eat it. :)

PS: I checked out Rick's last few blog posts. Great pics if the backpacking trip.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Addie said...

I saw Rick this morning at CFG and he said that I need to try this soup! With today's weather it sounds perfect.

8:15 AM  
Blogger MM said...

Did you change the name because the "green stuff" was scaring people away? :)

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home